Jamie's Blog

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Is your cell phone ruining your life?

Wired has an interesting article by Rob Beschizza titled, "Ten Reasons To Throw Away Your Cellphone." The article lists all of the reasons why cell phones can make your life harder and more complicated. One of the reasons, and the one I identify with most, is listed below.
It makes you perpetually available
If it's on, they can get you. If it's off, they wonder why they can't get you. It's a lose-lose situation for your Zen.

Personally I think the benefits far outweigh the detriments, but obviously not everyone agrees. So I'll be keeping my phone for now. What about you?
Read the article for the rest of the reasons why Wired thinks you should throw out your phone. Ten Reasons To Throw Away Your Cellphone

Edit: I just realized how ironic it is that this post has Cell Phones ruining your life, while two posts ago cell phones were saving lives. LOL

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I think it depends very much for what purpose you really need it:
    In profession: if I am on stand-by duty - in former times I would have had to stay allways at home near the phone. Cell phone in this situation makes me really free!
    In private life everybody can have the contract he likes, switch it off (to not "lose your Zen") and select few or more functions. My parents e.g. have it only with them for very urgent calls or for the case of emergency (that fortunately never happened).
    I don't think that you can answer this question for everybody in a general way.
    But it's right that every person should think about more often what they really need and what is really good for them.
    And for that this article is good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 01, 2007 10:39 AM  

  • You are absolutely right Alexander. How connected someone is in their daily life, is something that each person will have to settle for themselves.

    By Blogger Jamie Barrows, at August 01, 2007 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home