Jamie's Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2007

We Feel Fine



I realize this isn't new, the site has been around since 2005, but it's new to me. So if you've seen this before, you can just skip over this post.
I was browsing del.icio.us last night and found We Feel Fine. The site is a social artistic experiment in human feelings. Did that statement make any sense to you? It didn't really make any sense to me either. I'll explain, but to truly understand you are going to have to go to the site yourself.
Basically the site crawls blogs all over the Internet looking for comments that have the phrases "I feel" and "I am feeling." When it finds a phrase, it will copy the entire sentence it found the phrase in, and attempts to identify the sentence based on the "feeling" expressed(sad, happy, mad, depressed, etc.). It then attempts to extract any other info it can find about the commenter such as age, gender, location, and local weather conditions. All of these variables along with the sentence are stored in a database for statistical analysis. At this point, you are probably wondering why this is interesting.
What makes it interesting is the amazing fluid interface that this data is presented in. I really can't even describe it. You just need to go there and check it out yourself. Go to the website and click on the big heart to load the browser. Once it loads, start off just clicking on the dots at first. Then you can start customizing it.

Check it out We Feel Fine

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home