Jamie's Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Singles Map




Found this very interesting map(click on it for a bigger view) from the February edition of National Geographic. It maps out the percentages of single men vs the percentages of single women across the country. Seems that there are a lot more single Women on the east coast than on the West coast. There doesn't seem to be any definitive reason for this distribution, but I suspect that it has a lot to do with industry. All of the largest male concentrations are in known technology centers, whereas some of the largest female concentrations are in fashion and publishing centers. The tech industry is known for being heavily male dominated, just as the fashion and publishing industries are strongly female dominated. Industry dominance explains some of the concentrations, but not all. So I think it is probably a little more complex than that. According to this map, I live right between a high single female area and a high single male area. Now, if only I could find a way to leverage this to find myself a girlfriend, I would be all set. Maybe I should move to New York.

Map found at CreativeClass

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • But you hate snow so that might not work.... maybe southern FL?;-) California looks nice for a single gal but I kind of like where I am now.

    - CRT

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 12, 2007 10:59 AM  

  • Or Jamie - you could come to MD! That seems to have a big population too.;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 12, 2007 11:01 AM  

  • But again, we have that big cold issue. That and i love the beach way too much to ever leave it.

    By Blogger Jamie Barrows, at April 12, 2007 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home